Mental Retardation Services
Services For Mental Retardation/Intellectual Disability
- Malins intelligence scale for Indian children (MISIC)
- Binet Kamat test of intelligence (BKT)
- Raven’s Standard Progressive Matrices (SPM)
- The Childhood Autism Rating Scale.(CARS)
- Vineland Social Maturity Rating Scale (VSMS)
2. Treatment By Medication
There are no medication to improve the intelligence factors. However. a doctor may use medication to treat some symptoms that are common with Mental Retardation such as
- Repetitive behavior
- Attention problems
- Anxiety and depression
3. Treatment By Counseling
- Family therapy – Psychoeducating family about mental retardation, its effects and providing support to the family helps in countering expressed emotions.
- Social skills training – helping patients learn adequate social skills.
- Behavior therapy – targeted at managing aggression maintaining regular schedules etc