Bipolar Disorder Treatment
Services provided for Bipolar Disorder are:
Beck’s Depressive Inventory
Hamilton’s Depression Rating Scale
Young Mania Rating Scale(YMRS)
Projective Tests Like-
Thematic Apperception test
- TREAMENT BY MEDICATION
• Mood Stabilizing medication are medicines that stabilize the mood preventing both depression and mania.
• They help improve the way your brain uses certain chemicals that control mood.
• Mood Stabilizing medication take time – usually 1 to 2 weeks – to work, and often, symptoms such as sleep, activity levels, energy levels improve before mood stabilizes.
• Frequently antipsychotic medications and sedatives (benzodiazepene) are added in initial phases to control the symptoms quickly.
• Antidepressants , if added are tapered off sooner to prevent triggering a manic relapse.
• Medication duration depends on multiple factors like number and types of episodes, total duration of illness, genetic loading, comorbid drug use etc and is hence best decided by the treating doctor.
• Do not stop taking medication without the help of a doctor.
- TREATMENT BY COUNSELING/ PSYCHOTHERAPY
There are different types of therapy available which are chosen as per the patient’s symptoms.
• Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – methods to learn to identify and modify thought patterns accompanying mood shifts.
• Interpersonal therapy (IPT) – centers on resolving interpersonal problems and aiding recovery.
• Psychodynamic Therapy – focused on revealing unconscious content of client’s psyche to alleviate psychic tension.
Social Rhythm Therapy – to develop normal sleep schedule and predicatble daily routines.
Social skills therapy – training for social skills.