Services provided for Schizophrenia are:
PANSS( Positive & Negative Symptom Scale of Schizophrenia)
BPRS( Brief Psychotic Rating Scale)
Projective Tests Like-
Thematic Apperception test
2. TREAMENT BY MEDICATION
- Antipsychotic medications are medicines that act upon neurochemicals targeting both positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia.
- They help improve the way your brain uses certain chemicals that control thoughts, emotions and behaviors.
- antipsychotic medications take time – usually 1 to 2 weeks – to work, and often, symptoms such as sleep, fearfulness, aggression, improve before thought process stabilizes.
- Frequently Sedatives (benzodiazepenes) are added in initial phases to control the symptoms quickly.
- Medication duration depends on multiple factors like number and types of episodes, total duration of illness, genetic loading, comorbid drug use etc and is hence best decided by the treating doctor.
- Do not stop taking medication without the help of a doctor.
3. TREATMENT BY COUNSELING/ PSYCHOTHERAPY
There are different types of therapy available which are chosen as per the patient’s symptoms.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – methods to learn to cope with residual delusions and hallucinations(voices)
- Family therapy – generating awareness in family about psychosis promotes supportive environment aiding recovery.
- Insight Oriented Psychotherapy- teaching patient’s about their illness, differentiating between what is real and what is not.
- Interpersonal therapy (IPT) – centers on resolving interpersonal problems and aiding recovery.
- Psychodynamic Therapy – focused on revealing unconscious content of client’s psyche to alleviate psychic tension.
- Social Rhythm Therapy – to develop normal sleep schedule and predictable daily routines.
- Social Skills training – focused on improving social skills.